Ricochet’s mission is to help build the future of media that we want. A future where the public interest, and not the profit motive, determines the news we consume, where we tax the rich, fight for climate justice, hold police and governments accountable and make housing affordable again.
This year our funding has expanded, and as we enter our ninth year of operation we are in the process of scaling up our operations to better meet the needs of our audience. As part of that process, we are seeking to hire an experienced editor to oversee day-to-day operations.
As the managing editor, you will help chart the future of journalism in Canada at an award-winning national outlet. You’ll be well compensated and have the opportunity to do work that truly matters.
Read on for all the details.
Ricochet Media is a national media outlet founded in 2014 with a mandate to serve the public interest. We produce original reporting, analysis and commentary on current events and uphold progressive editorial positions and principles that reflect the audience we serve. Ricochet has won five national awards for investigative journalism over the past three years, including a 2021 Michener-Deacon Fellowship to study police misconduct. We produce context-rich, in-depth journalism and we take our time to get it right. We cover stories that aren’t being covered elsewhere, or angles on popular stories that have gone unexplored. We don’t chase breaking news or churn out clickbait.
About the job
We are seeking an experienced editor to manage the day-to-day operations of the outlet, in coordination with the current editorial team. This is a new position at Ricochet.
We run a virtual office via Slack, so the job is remote and can be done from anywhere in Canada.
- recruit, engage with and support freelance journalists, photojournalists and opinion contributors to produce original journalism and commentary
- edit, revise and fact-check content before publication
- post articles to our website and social media platforms
- manage the general editor inbox
- oversee a revamping of our newsletter program to better serve our readers
- oversee and support special projects and investigations
- monitor digital metrics and maximize the reach and impact of our articles without compromising on quality
- oversee web development and revenue-generation initiatives, such as membership appeals and grant applications
- assist in and oversee other administrative tasks and take on such other duties as the board assigns
- Two years of experience in an editorial role with a media outlet, or equivalent
- Meticulous command of the English language, and ability to quickly and thoroughly edit written content
- Competency in basic fact-checking and reading for libel
- A track record of good news judgement and familiarity with politics and current events
- Impeccable time-management and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks, meet tight deadlines and work independently
- Basic familiarity and comfort with online applications like Slack, Google Docs and website content management systems
- Solid interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with writers of various levels
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Passion for independent media
- Experience assigning stories and working with staff and freelance journalists
- Experience working with writers of different skill levels
- An eye for visual presentation and photo selection
- History of community involvement and experience working with marginalized groups
- Ability to read and understand French
- Knowledge of political and government systems in Canada
- Familiarity with solutions journalism
Starting annual salary for this full time (40 hours/week) job is $60,000. Benefits include three weeks of paid vacation per year, and a two-week paid winter holiday break.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this opportunity along with your resumé to email@example.com. Please put “managing editor” in the subject line.
The successful candidate would ideally start work in March, although there can be some flexibility for the right person.
Ricochet Media English strives to maintain a diverse workplace, free of discrimination or bias of any kind. We encourage applications from people facing barriers to equity, related to but not limited to race, Indigeneity, place of origin, religion, visible and invisible disabilities, sexual orientation, and gender identity and expression.